The National Flower of Thailand is Cassia fistula (golden shower tree) also known as Ratchaphruek or the Pudding Piper Tree or the Indian Laburnum (Cassia fistula Linn) golden rain tree and canafistula. It scientific name is Cassia fistula. It belongs to the family of Fabaceae, the order of Fabales and kingdom of Plantae. Cassia fistula is actually a tree and its yellow color flower is Ratchaphruek .
So both name is used alternately as a Thailand national flower. Its color is yellow bright due to which it is also called royal flower. It mostly found in Indian subcontinent and adjacent area of Southeast Asia. Beside its native region India it is also found in southern Pakistan eastward throughout India to Myanmar and Thailand and south to Sri Lanka.
Due to its abundant availability in different region of India it is also the state flower of Kerala in India and has a great importance among the people of malayali.
The royal and yellow golden color tree is an average-sized . It can grow to the height of 10–20 m (33–66 ft.) with fast growth rate.
Cassia Fistula leaves length is ranging from fifteen to sixty centimeter 15–60 cm (5.9–23.6 in). It has three to eight(3-8) pairs of leaflets on each side of common axis. The length of each leaflet is 7–21 cm (2.8–8.3 in) centimeters and its width is 4–9 cm (1.6–3.5 in).
- Read on: Cattleya Orchid the Brazil national flower.
The production of flowers takes place in as oscillating manner whose length is 20–40 cm (7.9–15.7 in) each flower 4–7 cm (1.6–2.8 in) diameter with five yellow petals of equal size and shape.
The legumeounous type plant has fruit whose length is thirty to sixty centimeters 30–60 cm (12–24 in)
Its width or breadth range from 1.5–2.5 centimeters (0.59–0.98 in) having a powerful odor and contains numerous seeds. At the mature level the tree has very strong and durable wood. Due to its strong and everlasting nature it has been used in “Ahala Kanuwa”, a place at Adams Peak, Lanka.
The word Ahala, ehela, or aehaela, (ඇහැල) is basically Sinhala language words which use in Sri lanka and several other countries.
10 Facts about Cassia fistula Flower
- It is a native and most popular flower of Thailand country.
- Cassia Fistula Flower color looks yellow like Golden Wattle Flower.
- It is most popular in India for ornamental use and known as ornamental plant.
- Its extraction use as useful herbal medicine.
- Its strong wood is use in buildings, especially in pillars or poles.
- Different kinds of the bees and butterflies are important pollinators of Thailand national flowers.
- Robert Scott Troup in 1911 lead an experiment try to investigate that how the seeds of fistula are dispersed. After conducting his experiment he concluded that golden jackals feed on the fruits and help in seed dispersal.
- Indian region in early Tamil literature, it is called கொன்றை (kondrai) and mullai has close association with the forest region of Sangam landscape.
- Cassia fistula is also the national tree of Thailand, and its flower Ratchaphruek is state national flower.
- In Indian Amaltas Ayurveda medicine tree is known as aragvadha, meaning “disease killer” or “remover of disease”
- Approximately the flower is 2-feet long, and one inch broad with flat shape. Each flower carry nearly 40 to 100 seeds.
- Its seeds become poisonous in some condition.
- In flavor tobacco the tissue from the fruit shells can be used.
- The golden flowers are also use to decorate hair, its bunch in hats and also in jar.
- Each part of the tree use in traditional medicine and disease killer medicine.
- It has low amount of sodium.
- Its fresh fruit of hundred grams 100 grams provides 100% of the daily Vitamin K needs of good health.
- Its dried fruit of hundred grams 100 grams provides eight hundred 800 mg calcium which fulfill 100% more of the daily requirement.
- It is full of energy and best source of the minerals iron and manganese. The fruit contain more minerals as compared to apples, pears, oranges, peaches or apricots on a weight to weight basis.
- It is good source of energy.
- Having enormous health qualities and medicinal purposes it is use as, antibacterial, antiviral, analgesic, tonic, anti-dysenteric. anti-diabetic, anti-fertility, anti-tumor, hepato protective, cholesterol lowering, astringent, febrifugal, purgative, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant.
- It frequently decreases fever, cold, swelling of throat, asthma symptoms as it is known as disease killer.
- It works well in constipation which cause due to dry fluids in intestine both in children and elders.
- It also works in heart disease, colic pain, piles and help in stopping bleeding.
- It has great contrast with the national religion of Thailand country “A Buddhism”
- It has great importance in the birthday celebration of majesty king of Thailand.
- To cure acidity or gas try massage with slight moment around the infected area for about 10 minutes. Repeat it daily for a month cures.
- Repeat the same process for skin eruptions due to impure blood but in different manner
- For constipation every night soak it 10 to 20 gram of fruits and some tamarind in a cup of water.
- The sever condition of bleeding can be control by boiling 10 grams each of amaltas fruit pulp, harad and munakka to treat piles. Drink this mixture at bedtime for some days.
- it is also a state flower of Kerala india.
- It is feathered on twenty rupees stamp in Kerala.
- It has great importance in the new year festival (vishu) celebration of Kerala India.
Cassia Fistula Flower meaning
The word Cassia fistula also known as Amaltas in Indian language means disease killer or remover of disease. That’s why it has great importance in (Ayurveda medicine)an early and old historical medicine system in the Indian subcontinent. Historically in Tamil literature, it is called கொன்றை (kondrai) and mullai has close association with the forest region of Sangam landscape.
Why is Cassia fistula the national flower of Thailand ?
Every country has unique emblems which range from anthem, uniform, tree, bird, animal and a flag alongside this country also have a national flower to represent its gardens, trade and forest habitation. All the national flowers signify certain principles that a nation stands for. Let’s know the Thailand national flower.
The yellow golden color tree flower Cassia fistula (Ratchaphruek) has enormous built-in qualities of medicine use.As mentioned above it is the native flower of india subcontinent but also found throughout the Thailand country.
Its golden, shower, beautiful and stylish color resembles and has great importance to the same color of national religion of Thailand country “A Buddhism”.
Also it has similarity with the color of Monday the day when Majesty king of Thailand was born. Due to enormous number of qualities, use in construction of buildings, houses, farms and in the treatment of different diseases and chronic condition it has great importance among the people of Thailand.
Due to similarity with national religion of Thailand country “A Buddhism” and birthday of Majesty king of Thailand it has become the national flower of Thailand country.