Do you know ? The National animal of china is Giant Panda. Its scientific name is Ailuropoda melanoleuca. Giant Panda belongs to the family of ursidae and class of Mammalia. Commonly known as panda bear or only panda as it actually originates from bear family.
The animal has a huge amount of black-and-white hair. The length of body measure nearly 1.2 to 1.9 m (4 to 6 ft), having a tail of about 10–15 cm (3.9–5.9 inch) is the second-longest in the bear family. And 60 to 90 cm (2.0 to 3.0 ft) tall at the shoulder.
The Male type can weigh up to 160 kg (350 lb). Females (10–20% lesser than males) can weigh up to 70 kg (150 lb), but can also weigh up to 125 kg (276 lb). Normal adult weight is 100 to 115 kg (220 to 254 lb).
It is officially stated that the China national animal giant panda has a body shape similarly of bears. It has black hair on its ears, eye strip, guard or cover, legs, arms and shoulders.The remaining part of the animal’s coat is white. The broad, wooly coat keeps it warm in the cool forests of its local environment or its surrounding.
It’s eating behavior is related to the skull shape due to which it absorbs hard shells like other mammalian.
- Read also about: Markhor Animal
Giant Panda animal has paw which consists of a “thumb” and five fingers. The basic source for holding bamboo during eating is the thumb.
The Panda’s Thumb has a very important role due to this importance Stephen Jay Gould an American paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, and historian of science discusses these features in his book of essays on evolution and biology (The panda thumb).
The giant panda typically lives around 20 years in the wild and up to 30 years in captivity. A female named Jia Jia is the oldest giant panda ever in captivity and the oldest giant panda still living in captivity at an age of 38, as of July 2016
10 Facts about Giant Panda Animal
- Giant panda is the most popular and native animal of china country.
- The giant panda animal is a friendless or lonely animal, which spends about two-thirds of its day. feeding and the remainder resting.
- As this animal considered as a class of flesh-eater however the giant panda eats almost entirely stems, leaves and fresh young shoots of bamboo.
- An adult panda spends 12-16 hours eating between 10-18 kilos of bamboo a day.
- The pooh bear a kind of Panda’s points in their direction of travel, by this way they can be easily tracked in the wild.
- Giant pandas China native animal have a special characteristic bone called a “pseudo-thumb” which continue from the wrist which helps to hold and control bamboo.
- There are different kinds of panda namely Chi Chi the giant panda, Kung Fu Panda Po are very precious in us ,china and Canada history business source in zoo and govt logos.
- According to animal survey a report has been made which declare Jia Jia oldest recorded panda mostly found Hong Kong’s Ocean Park, who turned 37 in 2015 (about 110 in human years), and received a birthday “cake” from Guinness World Records.
- Kung Fu Panda Po is the most famous one which is the movie star. Get together with his father in part III (2016) of the blockbuster animation series in Panda Village, inspired by Mount Qingcheng in Chengdu ( is a mountain in Dujiangyan, Sichuan, China).
- Panda paws have a 6th and 7th digit .The 6th is called extra “thumb” or big toe. The 7th is called the pre-form a fake digit with no scratch, on the opposite side of the wrist from the extra thumb. It helps to grasp the bamboo.
- According to the National Geographic (NC) Giant pandas can go up 13,000 feet (3,962 m) on the mountains of their home land to give food on higher slopes in the summer.
Giant panda meaning
The scientific name of Giant Panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) literally means cat-foot black and white. This noble animal was a part of some of the first cultural exchanges, (exchange of students, artists, athletes, etc., between two countries to promote mutual understanding).
Between the U.S. and the People’s Republic of China. Due to its importance such exchanges were sometimes called panda diplomacy.
Why is Giant Panda the national animal of china ?
It is a bear family animal native to central-western and south western China. This noble and peaceful bamboo-eating member of the bear family faces many problems and threats.
It’s homeland or local environment in southwest China’s mountainous areas becomes uneven due to which the population is become so small and isolated as its traditional forest it become endangered . So to overcome the problem the government has set up more than 30 reserves, but habitat destruction and poaching continues to pretence a threat to pandas living outside them.
With rapid economic development, it is more important than ever to make sure the giant panda’s survival. Providing such a protection Chinese govt improve the report issued in 2007 that 239 pandas living in captivity inside china.
Which estimated later and says that the number of Giant Pandas in the wild is on the rise. Due to all the above reasons Giant Panda officially become the national animal of china. Let share your thoughts about Panda with us.