The National Flower of Australia is golden wattle also known is Acacia pycnantha. Its scientific name is Acacia. It belongs to the family of Fabacea, sub family of Mimosoideae , the order of Fabales and kingdom of Plantae. It Mostly found in the uncultivated parts of Australia.
Its growing area is seen in South Australia’s Eyre Peninsula, western Victoria and southern inland areas of New South Wales. during growth, its height is 8 m (26 ft) and has packed leaf stalks in place of true leaves.in true view, it looks like Sickle-shaped.
Its width and length range from 9 to 15 cm (3 1⁄2 and 6 in) long, and 1–3.5 cm (1⁄2–1 1⁄2 in) wide.
The generous, prolific and plentiful fragrant of the golden flowers come into view in late winter and spring track by long plant seed pods.
- Do you know ? It seems similar as Arfaj flower .
The plant of this flower is fertilized or cross-pollinated by several genus or class of honey eater and pricker or thorn bill. Most of the time search nectaries on the phyllodes and brush against flowers.
The Australian national flower golden wattles normally grow as a small tree which ranges from 3 to 8 m (10-30 ft) in height but its height is invariable in Morocco it is also seen up to 12 m (40 ft).
The woof or yarn is usually dark brown to gray in color. younger plants are smooth and older plants are uneven and rough. Division of a branch may be exposed and smooth or covered with a white bloom.
Grown-up trees have no true leaves but instead having an expanded petiole taking on the function of a leaf blade.
The small flowers have five very small petals, not clearly exposed as it is covered by the long stamens.it is arranged in opaque rounded or extended group. Most of the species are yellow in color, some are whitish in view, and are widely cultivated as ornamentals.
10 Facts about Golden wattles Flower
- Golden wattle is the native and most popular flower of Australia country.
- Golden Wattle flower color is yellow and green.
- At Hale Conservation Park some authentic observations shows the largeness of new growth to go on in spring and summer in the month of October and January.
- Apiece of this Australian flower head is a bunch of many tiny flowers.
- Due its popularity throughout the world in first September nineteen nighty two 01/09/1992 was formally declared National Wattle Day.
- Due to its abundance in capital territory of Australia it was primary choice for the floral symbol/emblem.
- The genus/class of golden wattle in Africa and America are generally called Acacias.
- It is also use as food
- The seeds germination period has been carry on for several years .its outer surface is very suitable water penetration.
- Its largest species is Black-wood Wattle.
- Acacias in Australia rather than in Africa or America are called Wattles as they were actually thought to have been used by the early settlers to make the wattle and spread houses.
- Due its attractive and stylish look Golden wattle has appeared as a floral design on many official government documents such as an adornment to the Commonwealth Coat of Arms adopted 19 September 1912.
- It has very tough and powerful smell .which creates an illusion or magic of an allergic reaction in some people sensitive to perfumes because of its long-lasting fragrance.
- The Seeds have long-lasting nature. It can persist in the soil for more than five years, germinating after fire. But its plants mostly destroy by severe fire
- At domestic level, the most familiar species is the Mulga Wattle (Acacias aneura).Mulga has has a harder wood comparatively.
- Its hard class is use to make tools and weaponry by the native people.
- It has special Attraction for birds, butterflies, moths, and other insects. Its gum use as important food for squirrel and sugar gliders.
Golden wattle Flower meaning:
Acacia pycnantha the scientific name of golden wattle was for the first time explain by botanist Bentham. His research work was published in the London Journal of Botany in 1842.
The word Acacias in Australia rather than in Africa or America are called Wattles as they were actually thought to have been used by the early settlers to make the wattle and spread houses. It yellow color closely resembles with gold this is the second reason of its name
Why is Golden Wattle the national flower of Australia ?
Every country has unique emblems which range from anthem, uniform, tree, bird, animal and a flag alongside this country also have a national flower to represent its gardens, trade and forest habitation.
All the national flowers signifies certain principles that a nation stands for. Let’s know the Australia national flower.
The small flowers have five very small petals, not clearly exposed as it is covered by the long stamens.it is arranged in opaque rounded or extended group.
Most of the species are yellow in color, some are whitish in view, and are widely cultivated as ornamental. The species has become naturalized beyond its original range in Australia.
It has a strong fragrance , food uses , long-lasting nature of seeds and other numerous qualities it becomes officially the national flower of Australia country.
- Also Check: Switzerland national flower