The Albanian Golden Eagle is the national animal of Albania. It represents bravery, freedom, and the spirit of the nation.
Albania is a mountainous country, so this eagle lives in the mountains and is a symbol of Albanian pride. Albanian people are also brave and strong as eagle
In the past, Albania was known as a country of eagles. As its symbol, the Albanian eagle is reflected in the national flag and is also used for nationalistic folkloric songs.
Scientific Classification of Golden Eagle
|Scientific Name||Aquila chrysaetos||Population Size||200-300 THOU|
|Kingdom||Animalia||Life Span||32-46 YRS|
|Class||Aves||Height||28 to 40 inches|
|Family||Accipitridae||Top Speed||128 KM/H|
The golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) is one of the best-known birds of prey in the Northern Hemisphere.
The golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) is the largest bird of prey in North America. It is distinguished from other eagles by its larger size, more massive build, darker coloration, and broader wings. It is one of the most widely distributed species of eagle in the world.
What Gold Eagle Eat?
The vast majority of these eagles live in mountainous areas where they build their nests on rocky cliffs. They feed mainly on small mammals and birds, which they hunt from above while flying at high speeds.
The golden eagle’s body length can range from 66 to 102 cm (26 to 40 inches) and wingspan from 180 to 230 cm (71 to 91 inches). The golden eagle’s tail feathers are proportionately longer than those of most other eagles, reaching up to 44 cm (17 inches) in length. Sexes are similar in plumage, but females are about 25 percent larger than males. Adults’ feathers are brown with a white head and tail. Juveniles’ feathers have a blackish-brown appearance with a white base on each feather that gives a mottled effect.
Facts About Eagle
- Golden Eagle is the official and native animal of Albania.
- The Latin name for golden eagle is Aquila chrysaetos.
- They eat mammals (such as rabbits and foxes), birds (such as crows and herons) and reptiles (such as lizards).
- Golden eagle is the largest bird of prey in North America.
- Golden eagle is one of the fastest and strongest birds in the world. It can fly up to 200 km/h.
- The maximum weight of a male golden eagle is 6 kg (13 lb).
- Golden eagles have been known to attack animals as large as a wolf.
- Golden eagle has three kinds of feathers: down, contour and flight feathers.
- Female golden eagles are larger than males.
- Golden eagle can live up to 30 years in the wild.
- The golden eagle is one of the most powerful birds of prey in the world. Its wingspan can be up to 2.5 meters long.
Why is Golden Eagle the National Animal of Albania?
The bald eagle was chosen as the emblem of the Albania because it was once called the “Albanian Eagle.” The bald eagle has white feathers on its head and tail, while the golden eagle has brown feathers on its head and tail.
The golden eagle was chosen as the national animal of Albania in 2010. The Albanian government decided that they wanted to raise awareness about the country’s biodiversity by introducing more wild animals into their population. They chose this particular species because it was already native to their country and would not require any additional resources for conservation efforts. So, due to all these facts, Golden Eagle declared as national animal of Albania.