The national animal of equatorial guinea is Giraffe. Its scientific name is Giraffa. They are found mostly in savanna and open woodland. Giraffes live in open plains and savannas throughout Africa, south of the Sahara Desert.
The Equatorial Guinea national animal Giraffe are considered as an important part of the country’s economy. They are used for hunting and for skin, meat and bone products. Giraffe skins are used to make drums, shoes and other leather goods. Their horns are also used for making jewelry and combs.
Giraffes have long necks and legs that help them reach tall food sources such as acacia leaves or branches. They use their tongues to reach up to 20cm into the tree for these leaves.
Where Do Giraffe lives?
11 Facts about Giraffe
- Giraffe is the official national symbol & animal of equatorial guinea.
- Giraffes are the tallest land animals in the world.
- They have a long neck and legs, which help them reach leaves high up in trees.
- Their tongues are about 45cm long – longer than their entire body!
- Their heartbeats can be heard from up to 20 metres away!
- The average lifespan of a giraffe is between 20 to 25 years, but they can live up to 30 years or more in captivity
- The skin of giraffes is covered with thick hair which protects them from insects, sunburn and predators such as lions or hyenas. Their color varies from brownish-yellow to beige or grayish-brown with white markings on their necks and legs.
- They have no natural predators in the wild except lions, who will target calves and occasionally adults too
- Giraffas have large, dark-colored eyes that allow them to see well both at night and during the day.
- They also have excellent vision at a distance of up to 3 miles (5 kilometers). Their eyesight is so good that they can detect predators such as lions from far away!
- The giraffe’s tongue is very long — over 18 inches (45 centimeters) in some cases! It sticks out of its mouth and wraps around leaves and twigs to pull them into its mouth.
Why is Giraffe the national animal of Equatorial Guinea?
There are few reasons to choose Giraffe the Equatorial Guinea national animal which are:
The giraffe is the tallest land animal on earth. It is also one of the most beautiful animals. The second reason is that the giraffe is an animal that can be found in many African countries. It is easy for people from different countries to identify with this animal.
Giraffes are not dangerous animals; they do not attack people unless provoked or threatened by them. Giraffes are endemic to Africa, and so they are a symbol of Equatorial Guinea’s natural heritage.
Giraffes have the longest necks in the animal kingdom, and this is why Africans associate them with wisdom and intelligence.
The most interesting fact about this animal is that it has no natural enemies in Africa, which makes it one of the most loved animals by Africans. So, due to all these facts Giraffe was officially declared the national symbol & animal of Equatorial Guinea country.