Komodo dragon is the national animal of Indonesia because it is the largest monitor lizard in the world and it is only found in Indonesia.
Komodo dragon is the national animal of Indonesia. They are found in the islands of Komodo, Rincah, Flores, Gili Motang and Padar. The population of Komodo dragons is about 6000-8000, out of which 4000-5000 live in the wild.
What Komodo Dragons eats?
The Komodo dragons are carnivorous animals which prey on large animals like water buffalo and deer. They mostly eat other reptiles but sometimes they hunt small mammals like goats, mice and wild boars as well.
They are carnivores by nature and eat mainly big mammals like buffalos, horses, pigs etc. but they can also consume bigger animals like deer or water buffalo. They have sharp teeths and claws which helps them to hunt their prey easily. It does not chew its food and swallows it whole.
Scientific Classification of Komodo Dragon
|Population Size||Life Span||Weight||Height||Length|
|3,014||30 YRS||68-91 KG||8-9 feet||2.5 M|
Komodo dragons have a tail as long as their body and they use their tail to knock down large prey. Then they eat them with their strong teeth.
The Komodo Dragon is a reptile that belongs to the Varanidae family. It is considered as a living fossil because it has been living on earth for millions of years. The average size of a Komodo dragon is 3 meters long but some can grow up to 10 feet long and weigh around 100 kgs.
The Komodo dragon is an amazing creature and it is one of the most interesting animals in the world. There are many things that make this animal special and unique. Here are some facts about this amazing creature.
Fun Facts About Komodo Dragon
- Komodo Dragon is the official and native animal of Indonesia country
- They have a very powerful bite
- They can run as fast as 18 to 20 kilometer per hour
- They have sharp teeth and claws
- They have good eyesight
- They have good hearing
- They can smell food from up to 5 miles away
- Their saliva contains over 50 different types of bacteria that help them kill their prey
- A female can lay up to 30 eggs in one go
- The eggs take 10-12 months to hatch
- Komodo dragons are the largest lizards in the world.
- Komodo dragon is the endangered species of lizards.
- Komodo dragons have venom glands, which produce toxic saliva and powerful bacteria in their mouths.
- These lizards use their saliva as a weapon, causing blood poisoning in prey or humans.
Why is Komodo Dragon the national animal of Indonesia?
Komodo dragons can live to over 50 years old. Scientists think they are closely related to snakes and monitor lizards that lived around 40 million years ago.
Komodo dragon has been made national animal of Indonesia in 1969 because of its exceptional size, length, and weight. The Komodo dragon is the largest living lizard in the world. Due to all these facts, Komodo Dragon officially declared as national animal of Indonesia.