The Lion or the Asiatic Lion is the official & National Animal of Singapore which is found mostly in Asia, though it is also found in Africa. The scientific name of The Lion is Panthera leo. Lions are members of the cat family, which means they are carnivores and not mammals.
Singapore’s national animal, the lion symbolizes courage, strength and excellence as well as kindness, generosity and sociality. The Asiatic Lions are now currently listed as Endangered on the Red List of Threatened Species by IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature).
Scientific Classification of Lion
|Population Size||Life Span||Weight||Height||Length|
|20,000||20 YRS||190 KG||90 – 110 cm||45-55 CM|
Lions are the only cats that live in groups, which are called prides. Prides are family units that may include up to three males, a dozen or so females, and their young. Young male lions eventually leave and establish their own prides by taking over a group headed by another male.
The lion is a muscular, deep-chested cat which has a short rounded head with a reduced neck and round ears. It is sexually dimorphic; adult male lions have a prominent mane. With a typical head-to-body length of 184–208 cm (72–82 in) they are larger than females at 160–184 cm (63–72 in). It is a social species, forming groups called prides. A lion pride consists of a few adult males, related females and cubs. Groups of female lions typically hunt together, preying mostly on large ungulates. The lion is an apex and keystone predator, although some lions scavenge when opportunities occur, and have been known to hunt humans.
Fun Facts about Lion – Singapore national animal
- Lion is the official and native animal of Singapore country.
- The King of the Jungle: Lions are majestic and powerful animals. They are also known as the king of the jungle because of their huge manes.
- Lions have been known to run at speeds up to 81 kph (50 mph).
- The lion is the second largest cat in the world (after the tiger).
- A male lion weighs around 180 kg (400 lb) while a female lion weighs around 130 kg (290 lb).
- The average lifespan of a captive Lion is 17 years, while in the wild it is 12 years.
- Lions are carnivores, which means they eat meat. A lion needs about 15 lb of meat a day.
- A lion’s roar can be heard from five miles away.
- Lions spend 16 to 20 hours a day snoozing.
- Lions are extremely fast when chasing prey. They can run at speeds up to 81 kph (50 mph) for short distances.
Why is Lion the national animal of Singapore?
The lion is a symbol of Singapore, as it appears in the crest of the Singapore Armed Forces, Singapore Police Force and Singapore Civil Defence Force, as well as institutions such as the National University of Singapore. The lion head also appears on the coat of arms of Singapore.
The Lion is the official National Animal of Singapore. It is the symbol of Singapore’s national pride, courage and excellence. This animal represents the country’s pride as it is a unique and distinguished symbol that has been employed since the creation of modern Singapore in 1965. Due to all these reasons Lion declared as national animal of Singapore.