Orchid is the National Flower of Honduras. Other customary names are Digby’s Beaked Laelia or Brassavola Digbyana. It belongs to a family of Orchidaceae, sub family of Epidendroideae, order of Asparagales, and kingdom of Plantae. It is native to Honduras, Hong Kong, Mexico, Belize and Kenya.
The people of China call it “KANCHAN FLOWER”. It looks in red-purple color, the whole species appears as Umbrella like pinnacle. It blooms in in November and continue till the end of March.
The people of Hong Kong country call the leaf of flower as Clever Leaf. It grows in Honduras and Yucatan location. The noticeable flower observes as mark of wisdom. The native people believe it as a good luck during studies, hope, and make bookmarks using the leaves.it is believed as attractive symbol of the Honduras.
- Flower Public Name: Orchid
- Color: white, Red, Purple
- Shape: Star shaped
- Family: Orchidaceae
- Sub family: Epidendroideae
- Species : Rhyncholaelia Digbyana
- Order: Asparagales
- Genus: Rhyncholaelia
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Petals: No. of petals Four (04) to six (6)
- Native Areas: , Kenya, Hong Kong , Mexico, Belize and Honduras
- Height : 15-30 centimeter
- Blooming season: November to March
- Resemblance: feature of bird or fur
- Symbol and Meaning: use as wisdom symbol , Hope, and Chasity, happiness, modesty and good fortune
- Useful uses: Perfumes, Festival & Events celebrations, Medicine, religious rituals, scents, gardens beauty.
Orchid flower meaning & History
- In 1969(26th Novemebr) the orchid (Brassavola Digbyana) officially confirmed the national flower of Honduras
- The beautiful flower use in the meaning of clever leaf, symbol of wisdom. Hope, good luck and bookmark making in studies.
- One of the popular type orchis of this family belong to Ancient Greek term which means “Testicle” due to shape of the rounded roots.
- The Government of people republic of china use it in the meaning of foreign inappropriately.
10 Remarkable facts about Orchid
- Orchid is the inherited, prominent flower of Honduras.
- It has huge bushy leaves and white in color
- The Length of the plant leaves is 7-10 cm (2.8–3.9) inch.
- It consist of stem, root or floating stocks
- Width of the leaves are 10-13 cm (3.9–5.1) inch.
- It is two-sided symmetric and can be fragmented into two chunks
- Some parasitic species belong to this family get their food from fungi which live inside their roots.
- Hong Kong country people call it clever leaf.
- World level there are more than 25,000 species of the flower found.
- Due to its large capacity it is reported that the orchid flowers is 04 times as of birds number and mammals on the planet.
- In china it means foreign and declared inappropriate by Chinese Government people republic of china
- During the Victorian age people it was famous for hunting.
- Its vanilla kind vanilla orchid grow as crop orchid.
- The flower has a unique quality that it grows in every continent.
- It is more elastic and can be fit in doll houses due to small size.
- On or after the start of 1997 it is highlighted on Kong’s regional flag, military coats and coins.
- In Hong Kong the statue of the plant established in famous square that is Golden Bauhinia.
- Originally the flower color is pinkish purple but flag of the country featured as white color.
- It is also the popular flower of Chiayi city in Taiwan.
- The flower can survive upto 100 years.
- It is most popular house and garden plant
- Some evidences shows that it is existed on the planet since 100 million years.
- It has most resemblance with bird feature or fur
- Various countries it is believed as Chief of dishonesty/cheating, it cheat female bee behaving as male bee.
- The Kenya National flower has the tiniest in the world of plants and flowers.
- One orchid seedpod could possess upto 3 million seeds.
- The time need required is very long to grow the plant.
- The orchids extracts of widely use in perfume industry, flavors (Vanilla is one of the famous flavor) and in traditional medicine of Asian countries.
Why is Orchid the National Flower of Honduras?
Every country has unique emblems which range from anthem, uniform, tree, bird, animal and a flag alongside this country also have a national flower to represent its gardens, trade and forest habitation. All the national flowers signify certain principles that a nation stands for. Let’s know the national flower of Honduras.
Since the early time, flowers have attracted us with their unique beauty and cool fragrances. But some of these exceptional ‘gifts of nature’ possess unbelievable characteristics that are unknown to many of us. State Flowers are a special design or visual object representing a quality.
The family flower is not officially declared as state flower but due to some unavoidable circumstances the said flower got popularity that is approximately two hundred and fifty ( 250) types of orchids are native to Kenya and they are available in every color and texture throughout the country. Another cogent reason the famous book named “Orchids of Kenya” written by Joyce Stewart. The Honduras pleasant flower has many built-in abilities in addition to which it is also uses in traditional medicinal use, festivals, special events, perfumes, medical uses.
Historically it is very old flower family and have many records comparatively like largest species, smallest size seed, long aliveness. Besides these qualities it is also featured on military, Military/arms uniform coat, coins and local flag of Hong Kong etc. Due to all the above-mentioned facts and properties this Attractive, lovely flower in 1969 (26th Novemebr) the orchid (Brassavola Digbyana) officially confirmed the national symbol and flower of Honduras country.