Hibiscus is the national flower of Sudan. The scientific name of the flower is Hibiscus brackenridgei. It belong to malvaecae family, sub family of Malvoideae, order of Malvales, tribe of Hibisceae and kingdom of Plantae. It is also known asChina rose, Chinese hibiscus, Hawaiian hibiscus and shoe-black plant The beautiful flower got attention of sudanes people because of the lovely appearance and unique scent. A huge amount of the said flower is available throughout the country of Sudan. It is believed as Queen of Tropics, Beside the Sudan it is also the exceptional and special flower for the people of Malaysia.
- Flower Public Name: hibiscus, China Rose or rose mallow
- Color: Red, white to pink, orange, yellow, peach or purple
- Shape: Eye-catching, trumpet
- Family: Malvaceae
- Sub Family: Malvoideae
- Tribe: Hibisceae
- Species : H. brackenridgei
- Order: Malvales
- Genus: Hibiscus
- Clade: Rosids, Angiosperms
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Petals: No. of petals Five (05) or more
- Native Areas: Sub-tropical and tropical regions, Malaysia, Sudan
- Height : 2.5 to 5 m (8–16 ft)
- Blooming season: Summer and autumn
- Resemblance: Trumpet, garlic
- Symbol and Meaning: Rapid growth of the nation, Beauty, distinction, courage and perfect wife
Useful uses: use in Bengal and India to Goddess worship, art, bubble making pastime, tea, vitamin c, Juices and soap, fiber, food, and medicine.
Hibiscus flower meaning:
- The meaning of the beautiful flower changes with culture. In some culture, it is measured as a woman like flower because woman worn it.
- The flower believed as a perfect wife or woman in North America.
- The Latin word rosa-Sinensis literally means “rose of China” though it is not originally related to the true roses that comes in our common experience.
- In Malaysia the flowers are commonly known as bunga raya. The word bunga in Malaysian language (Malay) means “flower“, while Raya in Malay means “celebratory” or “splendid, impressive “. That’s why The Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is literally known as the “celebratory flower” in Malay.
- It was a great symbol of beauty when offering to some special in Victorian times.
- In PRC China the flower used in the meaning of the momentary and beauty of distinction or personal beauty and offer to both men and women.
10 Facts about Hibiscus Flower: you should know
- Hibiscus is the inborn, well-known and prevalent flower of Sudan .
- It is a bushy, thick and evergreen plant.
- Height of the plant is 2.5 to 5 m (8 to16 ft)
- Width of the plant is 5 to 3 m (5–10 ft)
- It has five or more petals and Diameter of the petals is 10 cm (4 in)
- The flowers has both male and female organs and pollinated by insects.
- It keeps the air clean by absorbing annoying gases.
- This Sudanese flower grow in well manner in uniform shape
- It is also called the Queen of Tropics
- Its growing areas are tropical, subtropical, and warm-temperate regions of the world.
- The lovely flower was named in 1753 by Carl Linnaeus in his class Plantarum plant.
- The Latin term rosa-Sinensis literally means “rose of China” though it is not originally related to the true roses comes in our common experience.
- Egyptian people believed that tea made with red hibiscus flowers and sepals could induce sexually unlimited intense desire in women. It was observed that for many centuries Egyptian women were forbidden to drink Hibiscus tea.
- It is also featured on the currency notes and coins of the Malaysian ringgit.
- The flower Fresh leaves uses as a spinach alternatively.
- It is use as ornamental flower and also the source of food ,fiber, and medicine
- It is used to make tea with a exceptional, delicious taste. The tea is caffeine free, also it is distinctive, animated, with a natural color, and is rich in Vitamin C.
- The flowers are also used as food either raw or cooked. The flowers will not lose strength until evening, so they can also be used as a long-lasting food sauce or side dish.
- It performs a good role in herbal treatment hair.
- It is also uses in cancerous swellings and mumps (an acute contagious viral disease characterized by fever and by swelling of the parotid glands).
- The hibiscus flower has silky leaves and independent, brilliant red flowers in summer and autumn.
- The said flower consist of about 200-220 species of flowering plants and count as large genus.
- Hibiscus tea has a pleasant fragrance and is known to be a natural body refrigerant in North Africa.
- The widespread flower Hibiscus helps in inducing abortion, provide treatment for a headache.
- The leaves and flowers are mix and beaten into a paste and poultice (Plaster)(a medical dressing consisting of a soft heated mass of meal or clay that is spread on a cloth and applied to the skin to treat inflamed areas or improve circulation etc.)
- The process of decoction (the extraction of water-soluble drug substances by boiling) prepare a lotion which uses in the treatment of fevers.
- One kind of Sudan flower (i.e.hibiscus tiliaceous) used in ear infection and inflammations and as laxative and lubricant in child-birth.
- It uses in the logo of Malaysian Tourism
- The red of the petals symbolizes the courage, life, and rapid growth of the Malaysian.
- The five petals of the flower signify the five Rukun Negara (Malaysian declaration of national philosophy instituted by royal proclamation on Merdeka Day) of Malaysia.
- Every color of hibiscus flower invites butterflies and moths as it is the favorite food of the caterpillars.
- It also attract hummingbirds to your gardens.
Why is Hibiscus the National flower of Sudan?
Every country has unique emblems which range from anthem, uniform, tree, bird, animal and a flag alongside this country also have a national flower to represent its gardens, trade and forest habitation. All the national flowers signify certain principles that a nation stands for. Let’s know the national flower of Sudan.
Since the early time, flowers have attracted us with their unique beauty and cool fragrances. But some of these exceptional ‘gifts of nature’ possess unbelievable characteristics that are unknown to many of us. State Flowers are a special design or visual object representing a quality. Flowers always make people healthy, thinking and mode happier they are the sunshine, food and medicine and provide relaxation to the soul.
The key cause of selection of the hibiscus flower its eye-catching, bigger-sized red petals, availability in bundles, Juices and soap, fiber, food, medicine, cultural and garden uses.
It is highly appreciated it blooms throughout the year and the plant requires little maintenance that’s why it get more popularity among the people of Sudan. It is also usually originate in the rural parts of the country where the plant functions as border barrier for houses. From early times the plant flower has motivated the logos for numerous events, such as the Kuala Lumpur 98 XVI Commonwealth Games and Visit Malaysia Year 2007. Malaysian ringgit and various coins. Due fame in various countries and heavy useful uses in food, medicine and festivals official it becomes the national flower of Sudan country.