The national fruit of Odisha is Mango which is the king of fruits. The mango trees have been grown in Odisha since time immemorial and has been part of the culture and tradition of the state.
The king of fruits, mangoes are one of India’s most popular fruits. They come in many varieties, with different colours, sizes and shapes. But no matter what kind you choose, they’re all delicious. Today mangoes are available in different varieties, including: Ataulfo, Kent, Keitt Manilita.
Scientific name: Mangifera
Uses of Mango
Mango is the most commonly produced fruit in the world with about 1000 varieties found in different parts of the world. Mangoes are rich in vitamins A and C and other nutrients like iron, copper and potassium. They are also good for skin health and keep us away from diseases like asthma, allergies etc.
Importance of Mango in Odisha
Mangoes are very popular in Odisha because they add sweet taste to the food items during hot summer days. The main variety of mango grown here is the Alphonso mango which is a sweet, juicy and highly tasty fruit.
Facts about Mangoes
- Mango is the official national symbol and fruit of Odisha.
- The fruit is native to India, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines, but it’s grown in many tropical areas around the world.
- The mango tree grows up to 60 feet tall, with leaves similar to an oak tree’s, and flowers that smell like roses.
- There are more than 1,000 varieties of mangos grown across the globe. The most popular are Alphonso and Keitt varieties.
- Mango is also known as “king of fruits” due to its popularity and delicious taste among people across the world.
- Mangoes are rich in vitamins A, B1, B2 and B6 as well as vitamin C, calcium and iron. They also contain carotene and fiber.
- Mango is a rich source of dietary fiber, iron and calcium.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is rich in antioxidants like beta-carotene and lutein.
- It helps in weight loss by increasing satiety.
- It reduces the risk of diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
- It prevents cancer by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.
- It boosts immunity by increasing white blood cells (WBCs) count in the body.
- It reduces inflammation caused due to arthritis, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) etc.
- It helps in treating sore throat.
Why is mango the national fruit of Odisha?
Mango is the state fruit of Odisha because it has a great historical significance in Odisha. It is one of the most important commercial crops and a source of food for millions of people in India & Odisha.
It is a major food item and the main export item from the state. In Odisha, mangoes are cultivated in more than 100 villages, but there are only 20 varieties of mangoes that are cultivated commercially. Today the most popular variety of mangoes grown in Odisha is the Alphonso, which has a sweet taste with a soft texture. So, due to all these facts mango was decarded the Odisha national fruit and a symbol of the state.