The national animal of Australia is Red kangaroo. Its scientific name is osphranter rufus. Red Kangaroo belongs to the family of Macropodidae a class of Mammalia and kingdom of Animalia. It is one of the largest types of kangaroos species and native to Australia. The height of males can cover 7–8 m (26–29 ft) in one leap. The maximum length of head-and-body can grow up to 1.4–1.7 m (4–5.2 ft) .In addition, a tail extends further 1–1.2 m (3.3–3.9 ft) to the total length.
As compared to male the length of head and body of females are considerably smaller. It has a length of 84–106 cm (32–42 in) and tail length of 64–86 cm (26–33 in). The weight of females ranging from 18 to 40 kg (40 to 88 lb) while the weight of males nearly twice as much at 55 to 90 kg (121 to 198 lb).
Elder mature males species can stand up to 1.8 m (5.9 ft) tall. According to authenticated report the largest one having been around 2.1 m (6.9 ft) tall and weighed 91 kg (201 lb).
Read also: Wolf national Animal
As discussed above it is the largest type of kangaroo with long pointy ears and cover (sheath) is a squared-off. The male’s species have short and red-brown hair. Failing to soft buff below and on the limbs.
Males are larger than females. Female are blue-grey with a brown shade at upright and pale grey below. Dry zone female species are coloured closely to males.
The two forelimbs with small claws and two muscular hind-limbs both are used for jumping. A strong tail often used to create a tripod when standing upright.
It’s legs function is just like a rubber band. The fibrous tissue which joins the calf muscles to the heel bone stretching as the animal comes down. After that, it releases energy to push the animal up and fro.
This process enables the characteristic bouncing mobility. Its main residential area is Australia.it avoids the most fertile areas in the east coast ,south and the northern rain-forests.
10 Facts about Red kangaroo
- Red kangaroo is the most popular and native animal of Australia country.
- Kangaroo cannot jump or walk backwards.
- It can jump very high as its observed report about high jump tells that it could jump three times their own height.
- Red Kangaroos are herbivores, they are primarily grazing on grasses also eat forbs and leaves of shrubs.
- It has also the ability of swimming.
- Kangaroos have different name depends on sex and age. A baby kangaroo is commonly known as a joey.
- A male kangaroo is commonly known as a boomer. A female kangaroo is called a flyer.
- On the Australia coat of arms, the Emu and the Kangaroo symbols are featured which represents the country progress. Because they are always moving forward and never move backwards.
- A small baby i.e. kids of kangaroo lives and stay in its mother pouch. Even when large more still drinks milk from a nipple in its mother’s pouch.
- The Australian national animal ( Red kangaroo ) estimated population was one crore 10,000,000 in 1996.
- It is Herbivore. It’s Average lifetime is Up to 23 years in the wild.
- In dry zone or land area kangaroos only move their hind legs together. Conversely in water they kick each leg independently to swim.
- Baby kangaroos (joeys) sometimes jump head first into their mother’s pouch when terrified.
- In some surveyor reports, it has been shown that the number of kangaroos is more than humans in Australia. That’s why it featured as a national symbol of Australia and appear on coins, postage stamps, and aeroplanes.
- The badge featured by kangaroo and emu is used by the Australian cricket team.
- The name of the Australian national animal is used for the national (Rugby) sports League team.while the smaller one Wallaby represents the Australian Rugby Union team.
- Its height is taller than a human and can weigh 85 kgs.In the world of marsupial, it is the largest one
The History of Kangaroo and It’s Meaning
The word kangaroo derives from the non-English, Australian languages Guugu Yimithirr word gangurru, means to (grey kangaroos). As it belongs to a marsupial mammal, macropod which means big foot .
The first recorded name of this animal was “Kangooroo or Kanguru” on 4 August 1770. which was actually recorded by Lieutenant (later Captain) James Cook on the banks of the Endeavour River at the site of modern Cooktown.
A common concept about the kangaroo’s English name is that (kangaroo) was a Guugu Yimithirr phrase for
“I don’t understand you.”
According to above-mentioned myth naturalist, Sir Joseph Banks and Lieutenant Cook
were exploring the area when they happened upon the animal.
Why is Red kangaroo the national animal of Australia ?
National symbols are used to signify what is unique about the nation, reflecting different aspects of its cultural life, people interest and history.
According to Australian when it comes to talking about national animal everyone have different opinions on this. The country has never formally stated or declared an official animal. Some animals in Australia are simply liked by people. But some have more significance than others .
The red kangaroo is one of them. It has been reported that the number of kangaroos is more than humans in Australia. That’s why it featured as a national symbol of Australia and appears on coins, postage stamps, and Aeroplanes.
Also, it is the main theme of Australian zoo for international visitors. There is a special zoo in Australia for national animals. The Zoos and wildlife departments in Australia undertake vital environmental education and research for the conservation of these animals.
For these animal, special events hold in Australia. Besides this tours and overnight stays which include close chance meeting with the animal. Due to all these facts, Red Kangaroo becomes the official and national animal of Australia. This was a detail guide about Red Kangaroo animal. Kindly do let us share your thoughts about kangaroo.
Also Check: Markhor National Animal Of Pakistan