The National Flower of Nepal is Rhododendron. Its (scientific name) is same often called rhodies. It belongs to Ericaceae family and sub family of ericoideae. It is a class characterized by bushes and small to large trees, the smallest species growing to 10–100 cm (3.9–39.4 in) tall, and the largest reported to 30 m (98 ft.) tall. The leaves are spirally arranged; leaf size can range from 1–2 cm (0.39–0.79 in) to over 50 cm (20 in), especially 100 cm (38 in) in R. sinogrande.
Nepal flower (rhododendron) may be either evergreen or short life. In some species, the undersides of the leaves are covered with balances or hairs (indumentum). Several well- known species are noted for their many groups of large flowers.
There are alpine species with small flowers and small leaves, and tropical species such Species in this kind may be part of the heath complex in oak-heath forests in eastern North America. oftenly it has normally been divided based on the presence or absence of scales on the lower leaf surface (lepidote or elepidote). These balances specific to sub genus Rhododendron are modified hairs consisting of a polygonal scale attached by a stem.
Rhododendron plants are characterized by having flowering part with dry, a chromosome number of x=13, fruit that has a capsule, an ovary that is superior (or nearly so), stamens that have no appendages, and stamped pollen.
Rhododendron Flower is from Ericacea family into which the genus falls, also includes heathers, mountain laurels, blueberries and cranberries as well as manzanita, trailing arbutus, madrone, huckleberry, kalmiopsis, sourwood, blueberries and a number of other genus.
The Rhododendron plants are known as the King of trees since they are regarded by many as the best flowering evergreen plants for the temperate landscape.
10 Things about Rhododendron Flower: You should know
- Rhododendron is the native and most popular flower of Nepal
- It was discovered in 16th century by Flemish botanist, Charles l’Ecluse.
- Nearly All the parts of Rhododendrons plant are dangerous, especially leaves showing abdominal pain, symptoms of Stomach irritation, abnormal heart rate and rhythm, convulsions, coma, death.
- Honey made from the nectar of Rhododendron flowers is also toxic and should not be consumed.
- A kind of herbal tea which is not a true tea. Labrador tea made from three closely related species. Rhododendron groenlandicum and neoglandulosum.
- Rhododendron is commonly known as “rose tree” because it often produces flowers in trusses, just like some types of roses (“rodon” is Greek word for “rose” and “dendron” for “tree”)
- Flowers often used in landscaping or for decoration of woodland gardens due to ornamental characteristics of its leaves and flowers
- In Medicinal form it shows that flavonoids, phenolic compounds and saponins extracted from rhododendron have anti-inflammatory properties. Also shows good action beneficially on the function of liver.
- Rhododendrons plants can go on or live up to 100 years under optimal environmental conditions.
- Due to the potentially toxic nature of the flower, it’s important to avoid displaying in the kitchen or near food. The fragrance can become quite awesome oftenly not good for those who are sensitive to hard sensing perfumes.
- Great Smoky Mountains of USA become tourist attraction due to the remarkable blooming of the rhododendron in the month of June.
Why Rhododendron is the National flower of Nepal
State Flowers are the special design or visual object representing a quality, type, expression and culture etc. Emblems and symbols signify country. Particular national flowers have traditional or religious origins that go back hundreds or even thousands of years some are consulted by government bodies which may or may not have been officially accepted. Whereas others have become familiar due to public interest.
Rhododendron the Nepal national flower shows records in 1901. The outgoing Governor George Atkinson praising the attractive and ever present flowering plant:
“I know none more beautiful and none more common in West Virginia (West Virginia is an eastern U.S. state in the tree-covered Appalachian Mountains) than the Rhododendron.”
Lawmakers named the Rhododendron West Virginia’s state flower in 1903 after an awesome majority vote of the state’s school children along with the Governor’s recommendation.
These flowers are extremely common in West Virginia as well as throughout the eastern United States. The fragrant shrubs, which are members of the heath family. It grow in almost every region of the state except for in its westernmost counties.
Due to the popularity in several countries, especially in west Virginia which has a large type of different but this one have unique also it have long lasting property and other benefits mentioned above, rhododendron officially accepted as national flower of Nepal country