The state fruit of Haryana is mango, which is also known as “king of fruits.” Mango is a widely consumed fruit in the state. Mangoes are found all over Haryana in abundance.
Mango has played a very important role in the history and culture of Haryana. The mango orchards have been the symbols of luxury in Haryana since the time of Mahabharata. Mango orchards are found throughout Haryana, especially in Karnal, Rohtak, Gurgaon and Hisar districts.
Scientific name: Mangifera
Habitat of Mangoes
Mangoes are grown in various parts of Haryana, especially in Hisar, Bhiwani and Rohtak districts. The major varieties of mangoes grown in Haryana are Alia, Amrapali, Bangalora and Bapra. Mangoes are also exported from Haryana to many countries across the world.
Importance of Mangoes in Haryana
In Haryana, mango is used in many different ways. Its pulp can be consumed raw, or cooked into a variety of dishes including chutneys, pickles and raitas (yogurt dishes). The mango’s leaves are also used for medicinal purposes, as well as to make baskets, mats and fans.
Facts about Mangoes
- Mango is the official state symbol and fruit of Haryana.
- The fruit is native to India, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines, but it’s grown in many tropical areas around the world.
- The mango tree grows up to 60 feet tall, with leaves similar to an oak tree’s, and flowers that smell like roses.
- There are more than 1,000 varieties of mangos grown across the globe. The most popular are Alphonso and Keitt varieties.
- Mango is also known as “king of fruits” due to its popularity and delicious taste among people across the world.
- Mangoes are rich in vitamins A, B1, B2 and B6 as well as vitamin C, calcium and iron. They also contain carotene and fiber.
- Mango is a rich source of dietary fiber, iron and calcium.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is rich in antioxidants like beta-carotene and lutein.
- It helps in weight loss by increasing satiety.
- It reduces the risk of diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
- It prevents cancer by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.
- It boosts immunity by increasing white blood cells (WBCs) count in the body.
- It reduces inflammation caused due to arthritis, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) etc.
- It helps in treating sore throat.
Why is Mango the state fruit of Haryana?
The Government of Haryana has declared mango as the state fruit. It is being celebrated as ‘mango festival’ in all districts of Haryana. The state government has also asked all the schools to celebrate and make their students aware of the importance of mango in our daily lives.
The government also stated that they will be arranging seminars and conferences on the importance of mango. The main aim behind declaring mango as a state fruit is to highlight its importance in our daily lives and its role in boosting our economy by providing a large number of employment opportunities to people living in Haryana. So, due to all these facts Mango has been officially declared the state fruit of Haryana and symbol of the state.