The state fruit of Karnataka is pomegranate, gooseberry and jamun. Pomegranate varieties are found in different parts of Karnataka. Pomegranate is the state fruit of Karnataka because it is one of the most widely used fruits in the state. It is also called arils or seeds. The tree that bears this fruit is called Punnaga in Kannada and Punna in Sanskrit.
Scientific Name: Punica granatum
Species: P. granatum
Importance of Pomegranates in Karnataka
Karnataka is an Indian state known for its rich culture, tradition, and history. It has a lot of unique festivals and celebrations that are celebrated in different regions of the state.
One of the most important fruits of Karnataka is the pomegranate. This fruit has been cultivated in this state for many centuries now. It is grown in many places throughout Karnataka and is used in various ways by people belonging to different communities and religions.
The pomegranate has been used for medicinal purposes as well as for religious rituals by people living in Karnataka. It is also used during marriages and other such ceremonies.
Facts about Pomegranate Fruit
- Pomegranates are the official fruit and symbol of Karnataka.
- Pomegranates are a type of fruit that has many seeds. Pomegranates are native to the Middle East, where they grow in hot and dry climates.
- It takes about 70 days for fruits to ripen on trees after flowering
- Pomegranates do not contain cholesterol or saturated fats and can be stored up to 2 months in a refrigerator.
- They are classified as super fruits because they contain antioxidants, B vitamins and other minerals.
- Pomegranates grown in the United States are typically in season from September to December; they do not grow in cold climates like other fruits.
- Pomegranates have very little flavor on their own but taste great when added to dishes such as salads or desserts.
Why is Pomegranate the state fruit of Karnataka?
The reason why pomegranate was chosen as the state fruit of Karnataka is because it represents health and prosperity. In India, many people have been using pomegranate to treat their illnesses for centuries now. The seeds inside each pomegranate are full of antioxidants which help to prevent cancer cells from growing which makes this fruit very healthy for you!