The State fruit of Telangana is Mango which is found in different parts of Telangana. Mango trees are seen growing all over Telangana, from the north to south and east to west. The mangoes grown in Telangana are very sweet, juicy and delicious. The Mangoes found in Telangana are Alphonso, Langda, Totapuri, Kesar (Karnataka), Chausa and several other varieties.
Mango is very much popular in Telangana and it is used in various dishes like pickles, salads, sweets and drinks. The mangoes grown in Telangana are very juicy and tasty.
Scientific name: Mangifera
Uses of Mangoes
Mango is the most commonly produced fruit in the world with about 1000 varieties found in different parts of the world. Mangoes are rich in vitamins A and C and other nutrients like iron, copper and potassium. They are also good for skin health and keep us away from diseases like asthma, allergies etc.
Facts about Mangoes
- Mango is the official state symbol and fruit of Telangana.
- The fruit is native to India, Odisha, Indonesia and the Philippines, but it’s grown in many tropical areas around the world.
- The mango tree grows up to 60 feet tall, with leaves similar to an oak tree’s, and flowers that smell like roses.
- There are more than 1,000 varieties of mangos grown across the globe. The most popular are Alphonso and Keitt varieties.
- Mango is also known as “king of fruits” due to its popularity and delicious taste among people across the world.
- Mangoes are rich in vitamins A, B1, B2 and B6 as well as vitamin C, calcium and iron. They also contain carotene and fiber.
- Mango is a rich source of dietary fiber, iron and calcium.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is rich in antioxidants like beta-carotene and lutein.
- It helps in weight loss by increasing satiety.
- It reduces the risk of diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
- It prevents cancer by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.
- It boosts immunity by increasing white blood cells (WBCs) count in the body.
- It reduces inflammation caused due to arthritis, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) etc.
- It helps in treating sore throat.
Why is Mango the state fruit of Telangana?
Mango is the state fruit of Telangana because the people of Telangana love mangoes and it is a part of their daily diet. The state government has declared mango as the state fruit to promote the consumption of this fruit in all its forms.