The National Flower of Scotland is Thistle. It belongs to the family of Asteraceae, tribe of Cardueae (synonym: Cynareae) some time outside this category is known as thistle .especially the genera Cardus, Cirsium. The Scottish flower is basically from polyphyletic group.
It is common group name of the flowering tree which can be determined by leaves having Thistle is the common name of a group of flowering plants characterized by leaves with harsh spikes on the margins.
The severe spikes spread all around the plant. on the stem and flat parts of leaves. It has special arrangement of shielding which protect it from eaten o they are an adaptation that protects the plant from being eaten by herbivores.
- Did you know ? what is the national flower of America ?
In the species common names are Carduus musk thistle and others Carlina carline thistle Carthamus distaff thistle Centaurea star thistle Cicerbita (sow thistle)Cirsium (common thistle), field thistle and Cnicus ( blessed thistle).
The periodic flower plant mostly takes two years in a complete cycle is commonly known as the ‘Cotton Thistle’, and it’s Latin name is ‘Onopordum Acanthium.the growth of basic parts such as roots, leaves, and stems initially come out in the first year and gradually increase during the second year and after that it dies.
One specific property of these flowering plants is give seeds again and novel plants will spring up around the original every year. If you ask everyone will answer you that it’s grow like a wild flower which is fact about the flower. After passing first year the flower height can grow to eight (8) feet and its width is four (4) feet. The plant has attractive flower heads and has a harsh, severe thorns.
It has strong grip on the earth and mass land.t has also the ability of decorative piece rather than rare use or no interest of people
10 Facts about Thistle Flower
- It is the native and most popular flower of Scotland country.
- The flower like other species also use as decorative item.
- In addition to Scotland country it is also the flower symbol of Lorraine and the symbol the famous website Encyclopedia Britannica whose origin is Edinburg Scotland.
- The significant plant has most usable juice sources of the pearl-bordered fritillary, small , high brown fritillary ,pearl-bordered fritillary, and dark green fritillary butterflies
- It is best source for single flower honey products.
- In the start of modern period it was believed that it is good remedy for bald head, canker sore, headaches, plague, vertigo and jaundice.
- In early times it was imprinted on silver coins actually issued by James- III in 1470.
- It is also found on several football club of Scotland.
- In early times the former police force of Scottish use it on the crown till 2013 as in 2013 new symbol issued and old one changed.
- The different connection of the country relate with other countries.
- In country like Canada it is flower symbol of among the four other symbols on the flag of Montreal.
- Carnegie Mellon University of America uses this flower as crest in honor of the Scottish heritage of its founder, Andrew Carnegie.
- One of the great historical advantage of this flower for Scottish army is that during fight with Norse army due to the presence of thistle flower .one barefoot Norse army man cried out due to pain which alert Scottish army and by this way they saved them from attack.
- Scotland national flower is featured on heraldic badge.
- It is also featured on Coat of arms of Nancy, the old capital of the Duchy of Lorraine.
- The significant fact of this flower is its famous and interesting story that it has sleeping party of Scots warriors was saved from ambush by an attacking Norse army.
- It has also the home of other varieties of thistle.
- Melancholy Thistle is the source of poetic-sounding.
- The red rose and other flowers shows love, romance etc. But thistle flower shows good poems in the Scottish literary cannon.
- The significant poem Hugh MacDiarmid’s A Drunk Man Looks at the Thistle, an epic, stream-of-consciousness poem that touches on everything from the state of the nation and the mysteries of the universe to the wondrous joy that is whisky.
- It has been use for 500 years for heraldry.
- In country it is not only seen in parks, streets and gardens but also all around the country.
- It is also featured on international rugby team, football team, business companies, corporation, organizations and uniform of Forces.
- The marriage of King James IV of Scotland to Princess Margaret Tudor of England which held in 1503 was actually made due to the inspiration from the important and beautiful poem ‘The Thrissil and The Rois’ (The Thistle and The Rose) confined by the Scottish poet William Dunbar.
- The great poem of their wedding ceremony which has two parts ‘The thistle’ represents King James and ‘The rose’ represents Princess Margaret.
Thistle Flower meaning:
The Carduus species is the Latin word for a thistle (hence cardoon, chardon in French), and Cardonnacum is the Latin word for a place with thistles. This is believed to be the origin of name of the Burgundy village of Chardonnay, Saône-et-Loire, which in turn is thought to be the home of the famous Chardonnay grape variety.
Why thistle is the national flower of Scotland ?
Every country has unique emblems which range from anthem, uniform, tree, bird, animal and a flag alongside this country also have a national flower to represent its gardens, trade and forest habitation. All the national flowers signify certain principles that a nation stands for. Let’s know the national flower of Scotland.
The significant fact of this flower is its famous and interesting story that it has sleeping party of Scots warriors was saved from ambush by an attacking Norse army. One of the great historical advantages of this flower for Scottish army is that during fight with Norse army due to the presence of thistle flower .one barefoot Norse army man cried out due to pain which alert Scottish army and by this way they saved them from attack. Also its use in different army coats, badges and for the presentation of different issues and relation of Scottish government with other countries as mentioned above. Due to all these facts thistle becomes the national flower of Scotland.
- Lily: National Flower of Italy
- Jasmine: National flower of Pakistan
- Corn Poppy: National flower of Poland