The national animal of Italy is wolf also known as the timber wolf or western wolf. Its scientific name is Canis and a binomial name is Canis lupus. it belongs to the family of Canidae and class of Mammalia. It is an active member of the dog family.
The weight of male species ranging from 42 to 46 kg (94–98 lb) and females 35–39 kg (79–85 lb). Similar to the red wolf. It is differentiated from other Canis species by its larger size and less pointed features especially on the ears and guard.
Wolf hair is grey or sometimes dark grey, long and bushy hair also exist nearly in pure white, red, or brown to black color. Due to multi color according to European survey 37 species exist in different countries.
- Read Also: Royal Bengal Tiger
It is the second most specialized member of the genus canis . Unlike other small species there exist no property of fertile hybrids. It’s behave closely as social animal traveling in nuclear families consisting of an associate or helpmate pair.
The wolf is typically a carnivore heavy meat-eater. Humans and tigers strike a serious threat to it. Although large cattle are the Wolf food on first priority it also eats smaller animals, livestock, carrion, and garbage.
The Italy national animal wolf is one of the world’s well- known and well-researched animals. That’s why more books are written about it than any other wildlife animal.
The wolf association with humans has a long history and hunted in most rural areas because of its attacks on livestock. On the other hand it has been respected in some undomestic and hunter-gatherer societies. In many human societies, the fear of wolves is persistent.
The majority of recorded attacks on people have been attributed to animals suffering from rabies. The attack of Non-rabid wolves have killed many people mostly children. But these cases happen rarely as wolves are relatively few live away from people, and have developed a fear of humans from hunters and shepherds.
10 Facts about wolf Animal
- Wolf is the most popular and native animal of Italy country.
- In The Wild Average Lifespan of wolf is 6 – 8 years. In captivity, their lifetime reach to15 years.
- Single wolf weep or roar to attract the attention of his group, while community roar may send territorial messages from one group to another
- They actually communicate by a different way and don’t howl at the moon, they are more active at dawn and dusk.
- In Asian mythology it is believed that wolf was present 15,000 years ago.
- It plays an important role in keeping ecosystems healthy. They help keep deer and elk populations in check, which can benefit many other plant and animal species.
- On an average basis, these animal live, travel and hunt in groups of 7 to 8 animals. the group contains father and mother also known as alphas.
- The sex or Mating Season starts in January or February and growth starts in 63 days.
- They are carnivores and prefer to eat large hoofed mammals such as deer, elk, bison and moose.
- Although it does not exactly behave like dogs but still Wild wolves are sometimes kept as pets, and in some rare occasions as working animals.
- It has a frequent charge in English weapon store. It is taken as a supporter on the shields of Lord Welby, Rendel, and Viscount Wolseley, and can be found on the coat of arms of Lovett and the vast majority of the Wilsons and Lows and different families.
Wolf animal meaning
Wolf is basically English word root from the Old English wulf, which means( itself) also derived from the Proto-Germanic language wulfaz. The Latin lupus is a Sabine loanword i.e it is borrow word. Collectively both derive from the Proto-Indo-European root language wlq/osw lukwos.
Old English literature describes several kings and warriors taking on wulf ,as a prefix or suffix in their names. Examples include Wulfhere, Cynewulf, Ceonwulf, Wulfheard and Earnwulf.
Why is Wolf the national animal of Italy ?
Every country takes on some emblem or sign which honor as the representative of their country passages. Likewise, national animal, national flower, nation anthem, national hero etc. are selected based upon some reason.
In extension to an anthem, uniform and a flag every country also have a national animal to represent itself. All the national animals signify certain principles that a nation stands for. Let’s know the national animals of Italy.
Italy animal wolf is extremely stable and their composition and cooperation benefit individual members of the group. believing as long historical background it is native to north America. it has been respected in some un-domestic and hunter-gatherer societies.
Wild wolves are sometimes kept as pets, and in some rare occasions as animals. Due to all these facts and above mentioned it becomes officially the national animal of Italy. Kindly do let us share your thoughts about wolf animal with us.
Also check: Markhor Pakistan Animal