The National Bird of Armenia is the Golden Eagle. The Golden Eagle is a bird of prey found primarily in Eurasia and North America. Most of the world’s population of Golden Eagles lives in North America. In Armenia the Golden Eagle was used to fight against the enemy. It meant protection, power and the sun. The Golden Eagle is the symbol of power and its strength. Thus, it is the national bird of Armenia.
The Albanian eagle is a rare animal which can be found only in the Balkan region. The golden eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) is the official bird of Armenia. According to the Armenian lore, it was this bird that saved the Armenian nation during a battle against the Babylonian army. In the end, the Armenian king was able to win the battle with the help of this bird.
The eagle is a large bird that inhabits mountainous areas, usually in woodlands. They have partially yellow feathers. The golden eagle lives up to his name with a amazing amount of golden feathers on its head, chest, and tail. It is more common in the northern parts of Europe, Asia, America and many other countries. In some situations the eagle could be over 3 feet around with an average wingspan of 7-8 feet long. The eagle has been recognized as a symbol for a long time from ancient times but has still remained it’s special significance today.
Classification of Eagle
- Scientific name: Aquila chrysaetos
- Family: Accipitridae
- Wingspan: 1.8 – 2.3 m
- Eats: Arctic fox
- Order: Accipitriformes
10 Facts about Eagle: Official Armenia Bird
- Golden Eagle is the official and native bird of Armenia.
- The Golden Eagle bird flying speed is unknown but somewhere it is estimated to be 320 km/h.
- The Golden Eagle bird weight is 3.6 to 6.7 kg.
- It is a large songbird, roughly 66 – 100 cm Long.
- The Golden Eagle can see better than a human being at a distance of 1,600 yards.
- It can see things at a distance of 1.25 miles.
- Normally, National Bird of Afghanistan eats, snakes, rodents and fish.
- It is a carnivore and eats rodents, rabbits and small birds.
- It is a very social bird and can be seen in groups during migration or winter.
Why is Eagle the National Bird of Armenia?
Each country has its own national symbol, and that includes Armenia.
In the wild, eagles are amongst the most powerful birds in the world. In Armenia, eagle hunting is a sport encouraged by the government. Due to this, in the past years many eagles have been killed by people. To prevent this, in 2014 an eagle protection law was passed. This law protects the eagles of Armenia.
Read also: National Bird of Albania
Eagle is the symbol of power and freedom. The eagle is the national bird of Armenia because it’s a symbol of strength and freedom, which is what Armenia hopes to achieve. Due to all the mentioned facts, eagle declared the official and national bird of Armenia country.