The national flower of Italy is Lily also named as Lilium (scientific name) Asiatic lily, Oriental lily and stylized lily. It belongs to Liliaceae family Their bulbs (a modified bud consisting of a thickened globular underground stem serving as a reproductive structure) can be planted in spring for come into flower the same year, or in fall for bloom the coming year. They are also grown from seeds, scales, bulbils and bulblets. A cool, porous and well-drained soil is essential for the good growth of lilies .One can buy lily bulbs online or from a local bulb vendor.
The sequence of bloom begins in early summer with the colorful Asiatics, Martagon Lilies (lily with small dull purple flowers of northwestern Europe and northwestern Asia also called Turk’s Cap Lilies), and pure white Lilium candidum, and then continues until late summer with other Species Lilies and three tall, fragrant groups: Orientals, Orienpets (hybrids between Orientals and Trumpets), and Trumpets. The flowers grow to a 6-inch diameter and Stems grow to 3 feet long, carrying four to eight blossoms.
Italy national flower found in different colors include white, yellow, pink, red and orange many have a deeper color on the inner petal. In a number of countries, plants have been chosen as symbols to represent specific geographic areas Italy is one of them The love for values, beliefs and customs of the Italians is easily seen in the symbolic flowers of Italy.
- Read: National flower of China
Due to its imperial beauty and the variety in color and type that can symbolize a variety of meanings, Lilies are also popular flowers for gifting purposes it symbolizes purity and refined beauty The love for values, beliefs and customs of the Italians is easily seen in the symbolic flowers of Italy
10 Things About Lily: The Italy National Flower You should know.
- Lily is a native and most popular flower of Italy.
- Lilies are popular flowers for gifting purposes it symbolizes purity and refined beauty
- White lilies represent modesty and virginity,
- orange is for passion,
- yellow symbolizes gaiety,
- Lily of the Valley represents sweetness and purity.
- Easter lilies are trumpet-shaped, white and waxy flowers that are a symbol of the Virgin Mary(the mother of Jesus; Christians refer to her as the Virgin Mary; she is especially honored by Roman Catholics)
- It is excellent plants for Layers and borders. Lilies are suitable for use in a shrub (low woody perennial plant usually having several major stems) border, as important plants, a formal or naturalized pool planting. Even some of the small species would fit perfectly in an alpine rock garden
- lilies flowers are considered to be highly poisonous to cats but do not cause a problem for other pets or humans.
- Oil extracted from lilies softens skin and promotes healing. The oils are used in massage, facial treatments and baby products
- Different species of lilies got Royal Horticultural Society’s Award of Garden Merit
1-Lilium African Queen Group (VI-/a) 2002 H6 Reconfirmed 2013
2-Lilium ‘Casa Blanca’ (VIIb/b-c) 1993 H6 Reconfirmed 2013
3-Lilium ‘Fata Morgana’ (Ia/b) 2002 H6 Reconfirmed 2013
4-Lilium ‘Garden Party’ (VIIb/b) 2002 H6 Reconfirmed 2013
5-Lilium henryi (IXc/d) 1993 H6 Reconfirmed 2013
6-Lilium martagon (IXc/d) 2002 H7 Reconfirmed 2013
Why Lilly is the National Flower of Italy
In a number of countries, plants have been chosen as symbols to represent specific geographic areas. Some countries have a state flower Italy is of them the love for values, beliefs and society of the Italians is easily seen in the symbolic flowers of Italy. In Italy, the garden is reserved for vegetables and flowers are grown on the balcony, which makes for a healthy population and pretty houses.
The people of Italy love to grow the flowers are Oleanders, Bougainvillea, Jasmine, Crocus, Cyclamen, Bluebell, Violets, Periwinkles, Alpine Pasque Flower, Spring Gentians, Aquilegia, Aster Alpinus, Convolvulus, Cornflower, Cosmos Bipinnatus etc. But Lilly is the most traditional flower use for gifting ,decoration and other special occasion birthday etc. due to all these facts Lilly is the National Flower of Italy.
You might like this: