The national fruit of Pakistan is Mango which found in different parts of the country. The climate in Pakistan is perfect for growing Mangoes, and this is why it’s the largest producer of Mangoes in the world. The mango is loved by every Pakistani and especially during summer season it’s a treat to have a mango. Mango is also used in many dishes of Pakistan like mango chutney, kachumber salad and so on.
Importance of Mangoes in Pakistan
It is one of the most important fruits in Pakistan, especially for the people of Sindh and North West Frontier Province. Mango is also grown in other parts of Pakistan, such as Punjab and Balochistan. Mango help in improving our health. Mangoes are full of nutrients and vitamins. They are a natural source of potassium, which is good for the heart, muscle function and nervous system.
Habitat of Mangoes
Mangoes grown in a large area of the country, especially in Sindh. The Mango season starts in June and lasts till September. It is also called as King of Fruits as it has many health benefits. In Pakistan, people eat mangoes either raw or cooked with different kinds of spices and seasoning.
Facts about Mangoes
- Mango is the official national symbol and fruit of Pakistan.
- The fruit is native to India, Odisha, Indonesia and the Philippines, but it’s grown in many tropical areas around the world.
- The mango tree grows up to 60 feet tall, with leaves similar to an oak tree’s, and flowers that smell like roses.
- There are more than 1,000 varieties of mangos grown across the globe. The most popular are Alphonso and Keitt varieties.
- Mango is also known as “king of fruits” due to its popularity and delicious taste among people across the world.
- Mangoes are rich in vitamins A, B1, B2 and B6 as well as vitamin C, calcium and iron. They also contain carotene and fiber.
- Mango is a rich source of dietary fiber, iron and calcium.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is rich in antioxidants like beta-carotene and lutein.
- It helps in weight loss by increasing satiety.
- It reduces the risk of diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
- It prevents cancer by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.
- It boosts immunity by increasing white blood cells (WBCs) count in the body.
- It reduces inflammation caused due to arthritis, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) etc.
- It helps in treating sore throat.
Why is mango the national fruit of Pakistan?
Mangoes are the national fruit of Pakistan because they are delicious, versatile, and easy to grow.
The government of Pakistan has declared mango as its national fruit because it is the most popular fruit in Pakistan. It is extensively cultivated throughout the country especially in Punjab province which accounts for 80% of mango production in Pakistan. Due to all these reasons, the mango has been officially declared the national fruit of Pakistan.