The National Flower of Iraq is Red Rose also known as Rosa (Scientific name). This famous and most abundantly available flower belong to the family Rosaceae and subfamily Rosoideae. The leaves are borne alternately on the stem. In most species they are 5 to 15 cm (2.0 to 5.9 in) long, pinnate, with (3–) 5–9 (–13) leaflets and basal stipules; the leaflets usually have a serrated margin, and often a few small prickles on the underside of the stem. Most roses are of short duration but a few (particularly from South east Asia) are long lasting.
Iraq national flowers are vary in size and shape and are usually large and showy. It’s colors ranging from white through yellows and reds. Most species are native to Asia, with smaller numbers native to Europe, North America, and northwestern Africa. Species, cultivars and hybrids are all widely grown for their beauty and often are fragrant. Roses have acquired cultural significance in many societies. Rose plants range in size from compact, miniature roses, to climbers that can reach seven meters in height. The aggregate fruit of the rose is a berry-like structure called a rose hip.
- Read: National flower of China
Many of the domestic cultivars do not produce hips, as the flowers are so tightly petalled that they do not provide access for pollination. The hips of most species are red, but a few (e.g. Rosa pimpinellifolia) have dark purple to black hips. Each hip comprises an outer fleshy layer, the hypanthium, which contains 5–160 “seeds” (technically dry single-seeded fruits called achenes) embedded in a matrix of fine, but stiff, hairs.
Rose hips of some species, especially the dog rose (Rosa canina) and rugosa rose (Rosa rugosa), are very rich in vitamin C, among the richest sources of any plant. The hips are eaten by fruit-eating birds such as thrushes and waxwings, which then disperse the seeds in their droppings. Some birds, particularly finches, also eat the seeds.
10 Things About Red Rose: Iraq national Flower you should know
- Red Rose is a native and most popular flower of Iraq.
- A single red rose says: “I love you. The name “Rose” is often used as a girl’s name in English speaking countries.
- For hundreds of years the rose has been widely recognized as a symbol of love, sympathy or sorrow
- The rose is most commonly used as an ornamental plant grown in the garden for its beautiful flowers
- The red rose can be used in perfumes. The nice Fragrance of the rose comes from microscopic perfume glands on the petals. Sometimes rose petals are also dried and packed for commercial use as decoration or for Fragrance
- The fruit of a rose is called a rose hip Rose hips of some species are extremely rich in vitamin C, because of this the hip is sometimes made into jam, jelly, or brewed for tea. The hip also has minor medicinal uses, used in food supplements and can be pressed or filtered to make rose hip syrup. Hip seed oil is also used in skin products and makeup products.
- Historically the rose was of great importance to the Romans and Egyptians. Romans would use them as room decorations, or wear them on string around their neck and anything which was said “under the rose” was think to be a secret
- The famous Cleopatra of Egypt was believed to have covered the floor of her palace room with roses before Mark Antony visited her.
- The rose can come in all colors although a “black rose” is not actually black it is usually a dark red. Each color has a different meaning or symbolizes something different to us for example red means love, orange – desire, yellow – joy etc.
- Traditionally England is signified by the rose, it is the country’s national flower. The rose came to prominence there during the ‘Wars of the Roses’, 1455 to 1485 when the house of Lancaster was represented by the red rose and fought against the house of York which was represented by the white rose.
- In 1986 the rose also became the floral emblem of the United States. It is the official flower of four states including the state of New York, Iowa, North Dakota and Georgia
Why Red Rose is the National flower of Iraq
The rose is roots originally from Persia and was introduced to the west by Alexander. Roses are universal and grown across the world .The gardening of Roses were quite common during the Persian Empire that is why it has adopted as the National flower of both Iraq and Iran which in past era was the part or Persia.
Roses for the longest time have enjoyed the honor of being the most popular flowers in the world. The reason for popularity of the rose flower may be its wide variety in terms of color, size, fragrance and other attributes. The rose has been a symbol of love, beauty, even war and politics from way back in time. The variety, color and even number of Roses carry symbolic meanings. The Rose is most popularly known as the flower of love, particularly Red Rose. Due to all these facts Red Rose officially become the national flower of Iraq country.
You might Like This: